Sunday, May 11, 2014

Taiwan WangAn Marine Awareness Education

This is the continuos post from 'My Taiwan Brief Summary'. Just realise that the storylane url was broken. So, I attached the article that I have written here. :).


This picture was taken in August 2012. I know is a very old post. But, the memory is still very vivid. The place where I first know how to ride a bike, know how to skin dive (in the process I gulped a lot of seawater), witness wild sea turtles in the middle of the night and learn more about the ocean.


The article that was suppose to be in storylane (In case you don't know, it was suppose to be a website where people around the world shared their stories, and I have no idea what is happening to the website.)

Journey of a thousand miles begin with a single step. Making the first step is always the hardest. I never thought I could make the first step of going for GCDP alone, to countries that I am not familiar with. Place that I wanted to go at the first place is Cambodia or Philippines, but, I chose Taiwan instead because of project, marine conservation.

The place I went was Wangan, Penghu. The island is very small; a quick round trip over the island will only take me 30 minutes. But, the people here are extremely friendly. They even know the dog’s name of their neighborhood. Life is so different from the city, it makes me feel warm and touched all the time. You can even drop by to the police station and just to say hi.

The great thing about this exchange is I am able to meet with new people. People here have high passion in conservation as well as education. Their spirit makes me look forward to educate the younger generation about the importance of conservation. Their conservation knowledge is indescribable.  If I never join this program, I would never know how much the ocean is being threatened and turtles that live longer than human on Earth are facing extinction, all due to mankind.

If you were given a chance to learn, never stop till you success. Keep fighting for it, and you will know how far you can achieve. I was given the chance to ride a scooter. Fall more than thrice till I am able to master it. It feels so great! I was also given a chance to present on turtle conservation, but, I didn’t make it. The encouragement and unlimited support from the people I worked with will always remind me the opportunity I missed and never going to miss any chance in future.

One great thing that I can never forget is laying on the road site just to wait for shooting star, having a singing session on the balcony with the music of the wave breaks, and out to defend the great wind during typhoon season.


I amazed that I am able to adapt to the life there. After all, we are just mankind living in the same world. If I am given a second chance, I will definitely go again, because experience is far more than just reading a book. 

For more information about the place I went for my Summer Volunteer in 2012, you can check in out in their facebook page at Higu Info.


No comments:

Post a Comment